STEPS TO RETURN AS A TAX VOLUNTEER
Click on a step to get started!
TAX VOLUNTEERS ROCK!
Ready for another tax season? Rock on!
70%-80% of our tax volunteers return year-after-year to help. We could not do this work without you and appreciate your contribution to this Bay Area-wide effort to help more people with free tax preparation.
RETURNING VOLUNTEER TIMELINE
You know the drill. Refresher training is available for returning volunteers and held in the Winter (December through January) followed by volunteering in Spring (late January through April). In-person refreshers are optional, but highly recommended.
All volunteers (including returning volunteers) must pass the IRS’ VITA Certification Exams. These are released in mid-November and available throughout training season.
TIME COMMITMENT: Here is what you can expect-
- Pre-season tax law and software training (5-20 hours, depending on your level of experience)
- Pass the IRS VITA certification exam online
- Volunteer one shift per week at the same VITA site for 8-12 weeks during the tax season (late January through mid-April)
Many of our volunteers step up to serve in various leadership roles after their first year of volunteering. These include but are not limited to serving as:
- Site Coordinator
- Co-Site Coordinator
- Assistant Site Coordinator
- Tax Law Instructor
- Tax Software Instructor
- New Volunteer Instructor
- Returning Volunteer Instructor
- Specialty Certification Instructor
- Outreach Ambassador
- Quality Reviewer
- New Volunteer Mentor
- Assistant during training or a drop-in clinic event
DO YOU HAVE QUESTIONS?
View our frequently asked questions first.
If you still have questions, feel free to say hello and email us!
LET’S DO THIS. CHOOSE YOUR COUNTY:
Excellent! Go ahead and choose the county where you would like to volunteer: