TAX VOLUNTEERS ROCK!
Ready for another tax season? Rock on!
70%-80% of our tax volunteers return year-after-year to help. We could not do this work without you and appreciate your contribution to this Bay Area-wide effort to help more people with free tax preparation.
RETURNING VOLUNTEER TIMELINE
You know the drill. Refresher training is available for returning volunteers and held in the Winter (December through January) followed by volunteering in Spring (February through April). In-person refreshers are optional, but highly recommended.
All volunteers (including returning volunteers) must pass the IRS’ VITA Certification Exams. These are released in late November and available throughout training season.
Here is what you can expect:
- Pre-season tax law and software training (5-20 hours, depending on your level of experience)
- Pass the IRS VITA certification exam online
- Volunteer one shift per week at the same VITA site for 8-12 weeks during the tax season (beginning of February through mid-April)
Many of our volunteers step up to serve in various leadership roles after their first year of volunteering. These include but are not limited to serving as:
- Site Coordinator
- Co-Site Coordinator
- Assistant Site Coordinator
- Tax Law Instructor
- Tax Software Instructor
- New Volunteer Instructor
- Returning Volunteer Instructor
- Specialty Certification Instructor
- Outreach Ambassador
- Quality Reviewer
- New Volunteer Mentor
- Assistant during training or a drop-in clinic event
LET’S DO THIS. I’M READY TO RE-COMMIT!
Excellent! Go ahead and choose the county where you would like to volunteer:
- Alameda County
- Contra Costa County
- Marin County
- Napa County
- San Francisco County
- San Mateo County
- Santa Clara County
- Solano County