Here’s what we know:
- People are more likely to volunteer when they hear about it from someone that they know.
- 70-80% of our tax volunteers return year-after-year, which means that most people have a good, meaningful experience.
- In order for our Bay Area sites to be running at “full steam” (maximum capacity), we need about 1000 more volunteers. So we are severely short!
Knowing this, you can…
Help us spread the word about volunteering with VITA
In order to help more taxpayers, we need your help to get the word out about this volunteer opportunity! Here are just a few ways you can help:
- YOUR GOAL: Recruit one friend to EKS.
Just talk about VITA with people you know. Talk about your experience as a volunteer. If even half of our volunteer base brought one friend into the program, we would have enough volunteers to run our sites at maximum capacity. By recruiting just one person into the fold, you’ve helped us in a huge way.
- Become an EKS-VITA Outreach Ambassador!
Outreach ambassadors help out the EKS team by giving short talks in the community at corporate events, local community resource or volunteer fairs, school classrooms, and at non-profit agencies. These ambassadors specify their general availability to us and as opportunities for speaking engagement arise, they help us provide coverage and represent EKS/VITA at these events. Guidance is provided. Requirements: 2 events for the year.
- Join the EKS-VITA Outreach Distribution Team
If you don’t like to talk in front of small groups, then you can still help us out by distributing our volunteer (and client) outreach material to local community centers (that may be close to where you live or work). We’ll give you a stack of flyers and a list of organizations to hit and your job will be to connect with employees there to get flyers out to all these locations. Join this grassroots marketing effort – it’s the only way we have been able to cover so much area across 8 counties.
- Email out OR post up a flyer for us at your local school, library, workplace, or place of worship.
Go to a place you: are already connected with or simply feel would be a good source for volunteers. Connect with an employee there to get permission to post up a flyer.
- Share on social media!
Are you on Facebook or Twitter? Then “follow” or “like” us and any of our posts, photos, or videos. Or post something and tag us using @EKSbayarea . You can share anything we post to your own followers and help us expand our reach to potential volunteers!
Volunteer Recruitment Resources
Please use any of the following resources as you help us recruit more volunteers to our Bay Area-wide VITA movement!
Volunteer Recruitment Flyer
The 2017 Volunteer Recruitment Flyer is the most popular recruitment tool distributed to community partners and used during many of the VITA talks we have in the community.
EKS Business Cards
Taxes are hard, but we make it easy… for you to recruit for us! Carry this handy, little tool in your wallet, in case you come across someone who might be interested in volunteering with EKS! Pick some up from one of our offices or your local Site Coordinator!
Newsletter Sample Blurb
You can preview it here .
Social Media (Sample Blurbs)
- Be a part of closing the gap on poverty! Volunteer with us! Learn more by clicking here: http://earnitkeepitsaveit.org/volunteer #Nonprofits #volunteer #UWBA #opportunity #Taxes #VITA
- Looking for something to put on your resume this year? Become a certified tax preparer + close the gap on poverty! http://tinyurl.com/zk75rdy
- The season of giving and gratitude is upon us! Show your community some love, one tax return at a time by serving as a #VITA volunteer this tax season! Sign up today at http://www.earnitkeepitsaveit.org/volunteer
- Show your community some love, one tax return at a time! Volunteer with #VITA in the Bay Area! http://ow.ly/EbFo3
- Give back to your community and add awesome skills to your resume. Volunteer with EKS this tax season! Sign up http://ow.ly/EbFo3
- Are you bilingual? Share your gift with the community as a #VITA volunteer! Sign up today with EKS! http://ow.ly/EbFo3
Do you need to any of our logos for co-branding on the volunteer recruitment material that you’re making? You can use these:
- UWBA Horizontal Logo (JPG)
- UWBA Horizontal Logo (EPS)
- UWBA Vertical Logo (JPG)
- UWBA Vertical Logo (EPS)
- EKS UWBA Horizontal Logo (JPG)
Volunteer Recruitment Videos
- Earn It! Keep It! Save It! (Vimeo) – Produced by Hannah Levinson, who served EKS as an AmeriCorps VISTA from 2012-2013
- Top 10 Reasons to Volunteer with EKS (Vimeo) – Narrated by Kelly Batson and produced by Laura Freeze, former EKS Program Specialist
- VITA in the Silicon Valley (Youtube) – Narrated by Victoria Chang (EKS volunteer) and produced by Gezche Graves in 2015. An old video featuring the Santa Clara County VITA effort.
- Why do you volunteer? (Youtube) – Local EKS volunteers tell us why they volunteer with United Way.
- Why do you volunteer with EKS? (Vimeo)
- Volunteer Love (Vimeo)
- Do you speak Spanish? Volunteer with EKS! (Vimeo) – In Spanish
- My number one reason for volunteering with EKS is… (Vimeo)
- Volunteer with EKS (Vimeo) – Volunteers explain why EKS is worth volunteering for!
- EKS will make you smile (Vimeo) – Peggy from Michael Chavez Center shares her story.