Scenario-Based Training (SBT)
This teaching method combines the learning of tax law and software into one integrated course and was initially developed in response to feedback from volunteers who wanted more software practice from the get-go. Teaching software alongside the tax law allows volunteers more time to get comfortable with input and navigation, in addition to using their Pub. 4012 PDF as a resource during preparation.
SBT highlights the importance of certain topics like must file v. should file, determining filing status, determining dependency, taxable v. non-taxable income – and puts that learning immediately into practice during preparation of scenarios representative of what is typically seen at the tax sites. SBT also teaches to Advanced certification since the majority of sites need this type of tax preparer.
What’s new for 2019-2020?
- New scenarios, forms and intake sheets
- Updated with new tax law (as much as we know)
- New content to be uploaded on November 13th!
For your reference, this is what we did last year:
Simply download what you need: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_Rbo9AfEz8LSWEtNWIzNlNFRmc
Within our online folder referenced above, you can download all of the following:
- SBT Training Schedule (3 day course) – An outline for timing how you can break the class schedule down into bite-size chunks.
- SBT Training Schedule (1 day refresher) – Suggested timing for covering topics and scenarios for returning volunteers.
TRAINERS- Are you experiencing TaxSlayer issues before OR during class?
We strong recommend testing the software the day AND morning before your scheduled class time. That way you can contact TaxSlayer in advance with any problems. Here’s what to do if the system is not operational:
- CHECK THE TAXSLAYER BLOG FIRST. Take a look at the TaxSlayer Pro VITA Blog to see if TaxSlayer has made any recent posts about issues it is currently working to resolve.
- CALL AND EMAIL TAXSLAYER. View this to get the email address and phone number for TaxSlayer support for trainers. You will need your site’s SIDN to reach a live person over the phone. (NOTE: EKS team has twice emailed AND called TaxSlayer 2 hours before class began on a Saturday. The TaxSlayer Support Squad was very responsive and got things up and running by the time class started.)
- Sample email/phone starter: Hi, this is ______ from _________ VITA training site in California. We are teaching class today starting in X hours and the Practice Lab is not operational. This is the issue: (give detailed issue / error here).
- Other questions you can ask in email/phone: Are you aware of this issue? Is someone working on it? Do you happen to have an estimated time of fix? Is there anything we can do in the meantime? Will you be writing a blog post about this?
- Despite frustrations, strive to remain polite in all communications with TaxSlayer.
- HAVE A BACKUP PLAN. If you have done both of the above steps and the software system isn’t working, be prepared with a back-up plan for what to do during training.