STARTING POINT: Attend our Online Orientation
Our volunteers are awesome — find out why so many of them return year-after-year to volunteer with us! Register to attend one of our online volunteer orientations and get your questions answered before committing to volunteer.
We have allocated an hour for each orientation which includes time for any and all questions, but we expect the actual orientation to be ~30 minutes or so.
Be sure to register in advance for ONE of these sessions:
COMPLETE!– Monday, November 5, 2018 — 6:30-7:30PM – Presented by: Gezche Graves & Colleen Smallfield
COMPLETE!– Saturday, November 17, 2018 — 10-11AM – Presented by: Gezche Graves & Kat Russo
COMPLETE!– Monday, November 26, 2018 — 12-1PM – Presented by: Ana Lagunas & Colleen Smallfield
– Saturday, December 1, 2018 — 10-11AM – Presented by: Kat Russo & Ana Lagunas
– Tuesday, December 11, 2018 — 6:30-7:30PM – Presented by: Colleen Smallfield & Gezche Graves
Click on a section header below to read more about the program!
- A career in tax accounting or in a related financial service
- Knowing how to file a tax return
- Helping the Community
If you can check at least one of these items, you will find our tax volunteer program richly rewarding. Volunteers will gain practical knowledge and make a measurable economic impact on our local community.
No prior tax experience necessary! Training is provided.
TIMELINE: If you’re a new volunteer with no tax experience at all, here is what you can expect:
- Short term commitment for 4-5 months and ends in time for summer break!
- Being part of a unique team of incredibly passionate, supportive, and diverse volunteers
- Engaging in meaningful volunteer work and really making a difference
- Assisting people who need help – people who are truly grateful for your assistance
- Gaining knowledge about basic tax law
- Earning actual IRS VITA certification in order to serve as a tax volunteer
- Returning volunteers have opportunities for leadership roles or specialty certification training.
- Volunteers who are also “Enrolled Agents” (EAs) can get CE credits
Click here to learn about what we do and why this work is important.
Here’s what our current volunteers have to say about the program:
New volunteers typically help out as Tax Preparers, Intake Specialists or Translators.
- Interviews taxpayers using the IRS Intake/Interview & Quality Review Sheet
- Provide high-quality tax return preparation to taxpayers who qualify for VITA assistance
- Prepare only returns that are within their certification level(s) and within the scope of the program
- Enter tax information into the TaxSlayer software
- Obtain signatures for E-File authorization
- Answer questions and/or use available resources to assist taxpayers
- Adhere to Quality Site Requirements and Volunteers Standards of Conduct at all times
- Maintain taxpayer privacy and confidentially standards
- Welcome and orient the tax filers to the tax site
- Provide taxpayers with intake forms and answers non-tax questions
- Ensure the taxpayer has brought all required documents to verify taxpayer identity and complete tax return
- Determine if the return is within the scope of returns we are allowed to do and determine which certified volunteer can prepare the return
- Manage waiting and entry areas to maintain the flow of taxpayers according to site operational procedures
- Refer taxpayers to Tax Preparers or Site Coordinators for tax questions
- Inform taxpayers about other community resources if and when necessary
- Aid taxpayers by working alongside the tax clients and tax preparers
- Bilingual volunteers are always needed, especially those who can speak Spanish
Other positions at the site are usually filled by experienced volunteers. However, sometimes new volunteers graduate into these roles during the middle of tax season.
- Conduct quality review process on tax returns
- Check the data for any technical errors
- Ensure that the tax law was correctly applied for the return
- Verify and retain signed and dated Volunteer Standards of Conduct Agreement for all volunteers at the tax site
- Ensure that the tax site is open as scheduled and adequately staffed
- Supervise volunteers working at the site
- Complete the Quality Review process for returns completed at the VITA location
- Submit tax return E-files to the IRS in a timely fashion
- Ensure rejected returns are either corrected or the affected taxpayer contacted
- Answer taxpayer questions regarding tax or the client’s tax return
- Must be certified at the Advanced Level through the IRS Link & Learn website
- All of our volunteers need to be comfortable working with a computer and the internet.
- Be comfortable working with people.
- Complete your IRS Volunteer Certification. Passing the IRS volunteer certification exam is required, since all volunteers must be IRS-certified. Training class schedules vary by county and begin in December and/or January. On average, three to four days of classroom instruction is offered. Online training and certification is also available.
- Serve as a regular volunteer. This means you commit to volunteer one shift per week at the same VITA site for 8-12 weeks during the tax season (late January through mid-April). Site operation hours vary by site, but a typical volunteer shift is 3-4 hours. Every VITA site operates using volunteer power, so we need to have reliable volunteer staff in order to run. You will be expected to attend your assigned volunteer shifts on time so that site operation is not short-staffed or negatively impacted. Be sure to notify your Site Coordinator of any absences in advance, so that there is less of a negative impact on site operation.
Steps to Become a Volunteer
I’M READY TO COMMIT AND CHOOSE MY SITE!
We’ve updated our volunteer portal to allow for more options for our volunteers including the option to track your hours, communicate with your site coordinator directly through the portal, create an individual profile, and search site options by time, distance, language skills needed, and more!
If you can make the commitment, head over to the upgraded Earn It! Keep It! Save It! Volunteer Portal at United Way Bay Area to search, choose your site, and update your profile. Be sure to bookmark our EKS main website so you can come back and get training information or review any questions you have. And please, reach out to us with questions or feedback!