STEPS TO RETURN AS A TAX VOLUNTEER
STEP 1: SIGN UP FOR A RETURNING VOLUNTEER ORIENTATION!
Get up to speed regarding the changes. We’ll go over the returning volunteer training schedule and how to sign up for a site again. Register by emailing us at: firstname.lastname@example.org or simply register online.
STEP 2: TRAIN & CERTIFY
Refresher training is available for returning volunteers and held in the Winter (January) followed by volunteering in Spring (late January through April). In-person refreshers are optional, but highly recommended. All volunteers (including returning volunteers) must pass the IRS’ VITA Certification Exams. These are released in mid-November and available throughout training season.
STEP 3: VOLUNTEER
Help local taxpayers save more of their hard-earned money!
Here is what you can expect-
- OPTIONAL BUT HIGHLY RECOMMENDED: Pre-season tax law and software training (2-10 hours — this really depends on your level of experience)
- REQUIRED: Pass the IRS VITA certification exam online
- REQUIRED: Volunteer one shift per week at the same VITA site for 8-12 weeks during the tax season (late January through mid-April)
Many of our volunteers step up to serve in various leadership roles after their first year of volunteering. These include but are not limited to serving as:
- Site Coordinator (Lead)
- Co-Site Coordinator
- Assistant Site Coordinator
- Tax Law Instructor
- Tax Software Instructor
- New Volunteer Instructor
- Returning Volunteer Instructor
- Specialty Certification Instructor
- Outreach Ambassador
- Quality Reviewer
- New Volunteer Mentor
- Assistant during training or a drop-in clinic event
DO YOU HAVE QUESTIONS?
If you still have questions, feel free to say hello and email us!