Our resources below are organized by time of year: year-round, pre-season / preparing to open (August through mid-January), and tax season (mid-January through April)!
TAXSLAYER HELP DESK SUPPORT FOR 2019-2020
The days/hours of operation for TaxSlayer Support are now up here!
Site Coordinator specific:
- IRS Pub. 1084 – Volunteer Site Coordinator Handbook (UP-TO-DATE. Version 10/2019)
- IRS Form 2333-V – Order Form for VITA Site Material (OLD VERSION. Version 10/2017) – A newer version of this email order form from the National Forms Distribution Center should have been sent to your lead Site Coordinator by the beginning of October. If they did not receive one, please contact your IRS SPEC Relationship Manager for help in resolving this issue. Refer to suggested order amounts when ordering.
- IRS Pub. 4396-A – Partner Resource Guide (UP-TO-DATE. Version 10/2019)
- IRS Pub. 5088 – Site Coordinator Training (UP-TO-DATE. Version 10/2019)
- IRS Pub. 5166 – Volunteer Quality Site Requirements – QSRs (UP-TO-DATE. Version 10/2019) – A guide to ensure the quality and accuracy of tax return preparation and consistent operation of sites.
- IRS Site Coordinator Corner – Resource landing page on IRS website for VITA Site Coordinators
- IRS Form 13615 – Volunteer Agreement (HAS NOT BEEN UPDATED YET. Version 10/2018)
- IRS Form 13614c – Intake Sheet in English (UP-TO-DATE. Version 10/2019)
- IRS Pub 4012 – Volunteer Resource Guide (UP-TO-DATE. Version 10/2019)
- IRS Pub 4491 – Training Guide (UP-TO-DATE. Version 10/2019)
- IRS Pub 4491W – Problems and Exercises (WILL NOT BE UPDATED. Evergreen Version 10/2014)
- IRS Pub. 4491X – Training Supplement (HAS NOT BEEN UPDATED YET. Version 11/2018) – These are the corrections and updates to all the printed material (IRS VITA Publications) that came out in October. Action item: print all pages for your 4012 from this and replace those old 4012 pages with these new ones.
- IRS Pub 6744 – Volunteer Test/Re-test (UP-TO-DATE. Version 10/2019)
- IRS Pub 17 – Tax Guide: PDF | ONLINE WEBPAGE (HAS NOT BEEN UPDATED YET. Version 1/30/2019) – Handy reference.
- FAFSA Federal School Code Search (UP-TO-DATE) – Use this to look up and see whether or not a school is an “eligible educational institution” for education credit purposes.
- IRS Pub 5192 – Ten Key Points for Communicating with People with Disabilities (UP-TO-DATE. Version 12/2014)
- IRS SPEC Presentation about Accessibility of VITA/TCE Sites in English (UP-TO-DATE. Version 11/2017)
- IRS Fact Sheet: Reasonable Accommodations for Taxpayers (UP-TO-DATE. Version 2/2016)
CA FTB RESOURCES
- FTB 5130 – VITA/TCE California Volunteer Reference Manual (UP-TO-DATE. Version 5/2019)
- FTB 2333V-CA – Order Form (UP-TO-DATE. Version 8/2019) – Fill out and email to email@example.com .
- FTB Resource Page (UP-TO-DATE) – Landing page for all CA FTB resources related to VITA.
- AARP TaxAide “Duckbook” (Counselor Reference Manual) (HAS NOT BEEN UPDATED YET. Version 01/2019)
OPTIONAL: BECOME AN ITIN CAA (Certifying Acceptance Agent)
A Certifying Acceptance Agent (CAA) is authorized by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), to assist individuals who are ineligible or unable to receive Social Security Number (SSN), in obtaining an ITIN (Individual Taxpayer Identification Number) from the IRS. Ask your IRS SPEC Relationship Manager for more details about how to become a CAA! Click here to download the IRS Fact Sheet for Becoming a CAA .
PRE-SEASON (PREPARING TO OPEN) RESOURCES
FOR COMPLETELY NEW SITE COORDINATORS
- EKS New Site Coordinator Training Slide Deck – Version 2016.11.17, from last year’s regional training of new Site Coordinators
- EKS How-To: Enable the Site Coordinator Module within Link and Learn – (UP-TO-DATE.)
This is a step-by-step screenshot guide that you can follow, if you’re a new coordinator!
- Email TEMPLATE for Returning Volunteers
This is an example of an email template you can send to past volunteers!
- Email TEMPLATE for New Volunteers
Here is a sample recruitment message that you can send to potential volunteers!
- Newsletter TEMPLATE
- EKS Volunteer Outreach webpage
VOLUNTEER SITE ORIENTATION TEMPLATE
- Volunteer Site Orientation – Sample Agenda and Guidelines
You can refer to a few guidelines and our sample agenda for a VITA Site Orientation.
EKS NAME BADGE TEMPLATE
Per IRS requirements, a tax volunteer must be wearing a name badge with their first name and last initial during operation. Use this standard EKS name badge template at your site:
- Name badge TEMPLATE #1 (DOC) – First name and last initial + one line
- Name badge TEMPLATE #2 (DOC) – First name and last initial + two lines
SET UP YOUR SITE’S SOFTWARE
Not sure how to get started with your software? Look over the following material or contact your IRS SPEC Relationship Manager for how to do the full set-up.
- New sites can activate their new TaxSlayer software using our EKS How-To: Activate your TaxSlayer Software guide
- Returning sites can use our TaxSlayerPro Online – Setup Checklist to quickly setup the software for season!
- Bookmark and refer to the tax software manuals as needed: TaxSlayer Online | TaxSlayer Desktop
- If you encounter any issues with the software, check the TaxSlayer VITA Blog or contact TaxSlayer Help Desk Support
TAX SEASON RESOURCES (WHEN SITE IS IN OPERATION)
PREPARING FOR A SITE VISIT FROM THE IRS
Use this as a guide to gauge your readiness for an IRS visit:
- Form 6729d – Site Review Sheet (PDF)
- Form 6729 – QSS Site Review Sheet (PDF)
- Do you have all your required posters? Are they posted in the right areas?
- Are volunteer preparers preparing returns within the scope of their level of certification?
- Are sites asking for appropriate forms of ID to verify taxpayer identity?
- Is the right SIDN and EFIN being used in your software setup?
- Is everyone wearing badges?
- Is the intake sheet being used properly?
- Are quality reviews being done properly?
REQUIRED RESOURCES DURING SITE OPERATION
- Awareness of Quality (QSRAs) and Volunteer Tax Alerts (VTAs): These alerts come out during tax season and every volunteer needs to be familiar with any updates that are announced via these alerts. Your Site Coordinator will usually inform you about alerts or tell you to check the webpage before your next volunteer shift.
- Publication 4012, Volunteer Resource Guide (PDF): This is EVERY volunteer’s favorite resource. It is THE resource we recommend reading cover-to-cover. In class, this is often referred to as the “blue book”. Must have one that can be easily referenced at the site. Can have a physical or downloaded copy, OR online link reference.
- Publication 17, Tax Guide for Individuals (PDF): Supplemental information to tax form instruction booklet. Explains the general rules for filing a federal income tax return. Must have one that can be easily referenced at the site. Can have a physical or downloaded copy, OR online link reference.
- Form 13615, Volunteer Agreement (PDF): Site Coordinators need to have this on file for every volunteer that works at the site BEFORE they start volunteering. A completed one with the volunteer’s passing score will auto-generate once volunteer certification exams are passed online. The volunteer can download it after passing tests on Link & Learn / VITA Central and provide a PDF or physical copy to the Site Coordinator.
- Form 13614-C, Intake/Interview Sheet: Must completed by all taxpayers who come for VITA services. Available in:
- Publication 4053, Civil Rights Poster: Must displayed at the first point of contact at your VITA site (at minimum, in the greeting/intake area). These posters are available in the following languages-