Don’t forget to bring the following items to your tax site:
- Proof of identification (photo ID) for each adult on tax return
- Social Security cards for you, your spouse and dependents
- An Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) assignment letter may be substituted for you, your spouse and your dependents if you do not have a Social Security number
- Birth dates for you, your spouse and dependents on the tax return
- W-2s from all jobs held in 2018
- All 1099s, 1098s and any other tax forms
- List of calculated self-employment expenses
- Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)
- Your household’s health coverage information (Health Coverage Statements: Forms 1095-A, B or C)
- Child care provider information, if any (total paid for daycare provider and the daycare provider’s tax identifying number such as their Social Security number or business Employer Identification Number)
- Landlord’s name, address and phone number for CA Renter’s Credit
- Last year’s tax return
- Savings and checking account numbers, as well as routing number for direct deposit of refund
To file taxes electronically on a married-filing-joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms.
When you arrive at the site, you will be asked to fill out a detailed Intake Sheet (IRS Form 13614c) . You can optionally fill this out at home and bring it with you. A guide is also available to help you with the questions.
Once you have gathered all your documents, you final step is to find a tax site!